Saturday, January 12, 2008

Partition/ Data Protection and other tools I use

Personal data storage is always a tricky issue. For example, on my computer I usually store my accounts data, code that I wouldn't like to expose. In fact, for few of my old clients, I give them the source code in an encrypted mode so that it is their responsibility to backup/ save and they can get it modified by other programmers also if they wish to. In the past, I have used tools like:

  • RAR/ PKZIP with Password: A bad choice but the only choice in DOS days. Ultimately, we had to de-compress to work and then again compress. This was a manual process and error-prone resulting in leakages sometimes. So, I moved on with better tools:
  • BestCrypt: With advent This could create a protected file that can be mounted like a volume. However, the cost/ licensing of the tool prohibited me from installing the tool on the client sites. So, I primarily used it on my laptop and just copied the volume on their machines. But this was easier and provided good level of protection.

And now:

  • TrueCrypt: Recently, during a visit to one of my client, I found that they were using TrueCrypt! That was interesting. I had never heard of this tool. I searched and found that it was FREE!! Offered everything I wanted and I can install it for my clients too. Reviews are great. That means, this is the tool of my choice now.

Then there is another issue. With so many sites, partitions and areas where we need to put in password the risk is - how do I record passwords so that I don't forget!! One of the easier route is - keep the password same but that's risky. In addition, many tools/ sites have different restrictions on password strength, length, combination, expiry etc. So this is not a good strategy. I want to keep strong passwords for any sites where I can shop (like Amazon, PayPal) and banks. So, I started using KeePass - another freeware that I can use to generate and store my passwords without the hassle of remembering every password.

Now, as of today, here is a list some tools I use:

  • Protection: KeePass, TrueCrypt
  • Version Control: VisualSVN Server (Subversion), TortoiseSVN, Perforce Diff/ Merge (For better diff and merge functionality)
  • AntiVirus: Nod32 - found it to be quite fast. With other antivirus such as Kaspersky, McAfeee etc., my Visual Studio project compilation times were quite high. Even AVG was good in the past but its reliability score isn't that good.
  • FTP: FileZilla
  • CD/DVD Emulator: Daemon Tools
  • CD/DVD Writer: InfraRecorder
  • Media Player: Media Player Classic from K-Lite Codec Pack
  • Remote Access: TeamViewer
  • Web Conferencing: Yugma
  • Messengers: Google Talk, Trillian, Skype  - I hate multiple clients but have to use them :(
  • Browser: Mozilla Firefox with Firebug
  • PDF Reader: FoxIt Reader - thank got - no more Acrobat reader
  • RSS Feed Reader: JetBrains Omea Reader (Though I'll be looking at NewGator products as well now as they went free)
  • Compression: WinRAR
  • Other Development Tools: Reflector, MyGeneration (Code Generator)
  • Blog Writing: Windows Live Writer (for now)

Apart from these, I just use Visual Studio 2008, SQL Server 2005 (Developer Edition), Microsoft Office and sometimes Internet Explorer! I'm always looking for leaner, faster alternatives.

1 comment:

Connie with Yugma said...

Hi,
This is Connie from Yugma. On behalf of Yugma with our One Year Anniversary, I would like to thank you for mentioning us on your site and helping us to spread the word about our product. The blogging community had had an integral part in making Yugma one of the fastest growing real-time web collaborations services in 2007 with over 100,000 users to date.
To express our thanks, we’re donating/sponsoring Yearly Premium Yugma accounts (valued at $99.50) to bloggers who simply ask. To learn more about this program and how to get your sponsored Yugma account, check out the details on the Yugma blog – linked below.
http://www.yugma.com/blog/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=261&Itemid=1
Please be sure to check this out soon! The window to request your account through the Yugma Blogger Program will be through the end of January, 2008.
With Greatest Appreciation,
Connie and the rest of the Yugma Team
PS: Be sure to stay tuned! Yugma is set to release new features and improved performance in the next few weeks and months. To keep informed of all the happenings, check out www.yugma.com under the news and blog.